We meet at a critical juncture of human calamity of the pandemic – COVID 19; the global effects there-to and the raising of its head yet again in our own land.
It is in the midst of this national crisis and the increasing spread of this killer virus with the devastating impact on the country as a whole that the National Christian Council of Sri Lanka (NCCSL); whilst offering its condolences to the bereaved families takes this opportunity to express its solidarity with the people of our land, comes forward as a responsible Body in Christ to support, cooperate and address the curtailing of the transmission of the virus.
First and foremost, we call upon all people in our nation to strictly adhere to the instructions and stipulated guidelines issues by the Health Authorities in our daily life and work.
We are conscious of the National Vaccination Programme, and are prepared where ever possible upon request to open our churches and centers to support this effort.
In event of a need to accommodate people for ‘quarantine’, we can, following a request make available facilities that come under our purview.
Acknowledging the impact on the daily wage earners subject to ‘quarantine measures’, and given the vulnerability of economic constraints of the families left behind, we can look into the possibility of offering basic financial support in such situations, depending on the needs there-to.
The number of Sri Lankans who are unable to return is a concern to us and the fact that of affordable facilities is an issue. We call upon all Sri Lankans and especially all Christians to rally round with all organizations that are working to bring back these people who once provided to keep our economy afloat.
In conclusion we all call upon our faithful to engage in collective prayers, lifting up our land, along with other nations; especially our immediate neighbor, India, for the much -needed healing and restoration of life and work.
- Rev. Ebenezer Joseph, Chairperson, National Christian Council of Sri Lanka and President, Methodist Church of Sri Lanka
- Rt. Rev. Dushantha Rodrigo, Bishop of Colombo, Church of Ceylon
- Rt. Rev. Keerthisiri Fernando, Bishop of Kurunegala, Church of Ceylon
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Daniel Thiagarajah, Bishop of Jaffna, Church of South India
- Rev. Heshan De Silva, President, Sri Lanka Baptist Sangamaya
- Rev. Saman Perera, Moderator, Presbytery of Lanka
- Rev. Shirley Faber, President, Christian Reformed Church
- Colonel Nihal Hettiarachchi, Territorial Commander, Salvation Army of Sri Lanka
- Rev. Dr. Chrisso Handy, General Superintendent/Chairperson, Assemblies of God
- Rev. George Niranjan, Acting President, Foursquare Gospel Church
- Rev. Maxwell Doss, General Secretary, National Christian Council of Sri Lanka